Tuesday, October 26, 2004

“I Know I’m Fakin’ It . . .”

The other day, while checking out the Hotmail address where I receive stories for inclusion in Dimensions Online's "Weight Room," I received an email from a writer who respectfully asked me to remove their submission. Per this contributor:
"My friends from town found it, and are now spreading it about to everyone I know in an effort to humiliate me and ruin my life and any chances I had with any women. I guess liking fat girls really is a crime. I hate to admit it, but I'd rather fake liking skinny ones than be subjected to the kind of ridicule I'm receiving now."
I honored the young man's request (from the tone and focus of his email, I assume he's young) and removed the material. But at the same time I couldn't help feeling a little down about it. Even if (as is often the case with online correspondence), the writer was yanking my chain, the story still has a ring of believability.

As someone who's been married to a BBW for over fifteen years, it's easy for me to sometimes forget what a huge leap openly admitting one's love of fat womanhood can be in this thin-obsessed culture. In the pack-minded world of pre- and young adulthood, it ain't easy to go against the standards set by yer peers. Sometimes I think I was especially fortunate to've passed through my adolescence during an era when a fat woman singer could pose with the rest of her folk-rock hippie group in a bathtub – and it was considered kinda cool. There was plenty that was cheesy & phony about the late sixties, but for a young FA just beginning to step out of the closet, there was also room for a kind of group acceptance that I suspect today's emerging FAs don't so readily find.

But at the risk of sounding preachy, I've still gotta state: no matter psychically bruising the alternative may seem, "faking it" is not the way to go through the rest of your life. . .

1 Comments:

Blogger Durin said...

Well for one thing, throwing himself back in the FA closet is not going to make the teasing quit anytime soon. He would have much better luck if he said "Yous got a problem wit dat?"

I think most people reach a stage where they decide what is really important to them. I decided that trying to conform to someone else's opinion of who I should like as far as women goes is crazy.

I like BBW, I married a wonderful BBW and I will be married for five years this Dec.

11:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home