Tuesday, October 19, 2004

“Denise, Denise. . .”

Those of you familiar with my fanta-sizing fiction perhaps know that this isn't my first experience with blogging: over a year ago, I constructed a "Fat Magic" story, utilizing the blog format, entitled "Mystery Shopper." Set several years back in an October much like this 'un, it tells the story of Denise Purchess, a comely Midwesterner (many of my "Fat Magic" fictions feature comely Midwesterners) who gets a job as a professional shopper just as she begins her web diary. The company, Ample Stuffing, is one that figures prominently in several of my "Fat Magic"s: it's a company comprised of FAs whose mission appears to be to transform as many good-lookin' women as possible into mega-sized BBWs. By signing on to be a contract worker for the company, Denise unknowingly sets magical forces in motion that assure her own change.

Denise's new job takes her to a series of area restaurants where she is expected to review the quality of their service and menus. As we read each day of blog entries, we quickly realize that our heroine is spending more and more time at these eateries, adding poundage to her frame at an astounding speed. By the end of the month, she's grown to ten times her old weight. In so doing, she wins the heart of her boss, an Ample Stuffing executive whose name we never learn (our billowing blogger calls him "Tripper," a joking reference that also has echoes of John Ritter's character name from the old sitcom Three's Company).

In the fantasy world of the "Fat Magic" stories, few characters regret their transmogrification into hyper-obesity: in many of these stories, their preternatural size is connected to both mystic capacity and an almost transcendental awareness of the world around them. For all of the women and occasional men in these tales, their new size proves strangely liberating. They've entered a world where conventional standards no longer apply, where culturally demanded restraint has become irrelevant. And because their changes are tied to magical influences, many of the difficulties associated with their Guinness Book of World Records weights aren't even a concern.

Crafting "Mystery Shopper" turned out to be one of my more enjoyable writing experiences: some stories require a lot of straining and head-scratching; others come trippingly to the page. "Shopper," despite its length (around 27,000 words), came fairly rapidly. Some of this I attribute to the first person mock blog format (swiped the basic template from Pop Culture Gadabout), which was fun to play with; some I connect to the story's heroine, who I found myself liking the longer I used her voice. And, as with many of my favorite creations, every now and then I find myself wondering how Denise is doin' several years down the road.

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to that question though because, hey, it's my fantasy, right?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home