Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Weird Moments from Rerun Land

So last night, still wired from hosting a rotating poker game at our house (lost a grand total of $2.50, if you must know) and flipping through the offerings on cable, I came upon a repeat of a sitcom that I rarely watched when it was on in prime time, Just Shoot Me. You know the show, of course: set in a New York fashion magazine in a blatant attempt at grabbing the Ab Fab audience, it starred Laura San Giacomo as the lone voice of normalcy in a world inhabited by comic overachievers like George Segal, David Spade and the elegantly slatternly Wendie Mallick. Because it's set in a glossy NYC fashion mag, there's typically been little in the series to interest an FA viewer like me. But this ep proved an exception.

In it, Laura's character Maya was being romanced by a guy who, it turns out, is a feeder. His previous girlfriends have all been fat (we see one in a bar: a super-sized blond beauty who I unfortunately didn't recognize), and whenever he's out with Maya, he constantly plies her with fattening foods. He even sends her a large wheel of cheese as a romantic present. She begins to gain some (unseen) weight, and in one scene, her pants button pops and is imbedded in the wall. When our heroine finally confronts the guy about this, he admits that he thinks she'd look better a hundred pounds heavier (me, too ā€“ but never mind). When she balks, he tries to bargain her down to "fifty pounds ā€“ and I'll buy the elastic pants!" Unhappily for the FA viewer (though fortunately, I suppose, for her character), Maya dumps the chump before he can do any serious work on her waistline.

If he had, I bet I would've been paid attention to the show in its final seasons. . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home