Tuesday, December 28, 2004

In Praise of "Other"

Over at one of the Yahoo Groups (WGBTB 4 - one of the first groups to link to this blog), they've been running a poll asking members who they consider the sexiest BBW on the web. The poll consisted of four names (Kerry Marie, Audra Mitchell, Brooke and Sexy Mic) with a choice of "Other." I selected "Other," which prompted one group member to wonder who I'd select.

Hard to say. Of the foursome offered, the only one who genuinely seems to fulfill the "big" component of BBW is Mic; checking out Kerry Marie, for instance, I see a slightly zaftig, top-heavy beauty who wouldn't be out of place in your average boobmag. She's hot, and would probably come across even hotter if she'd walked up to me in person, but just looking at a bunch of jpg.s on the Internet, she seems slight compared to the fat women I find mind-bogglingly attractive. Could be the diminishing effect of my monitor screen, but fact remains all of these women look like the "before" stage in a good weight gain fantasy to me.

Too, as with so many models, plus-sized or otherwise, there's no sense of a full-grown woman behind the pictures. The BBWs who make the biggest impression are the ones who speak or write on the web in addition to posing for sexy photos. Like the women who've been slowly slipping onto my blogroll (just added Miz T'Rina today) or who maintain their own "this is what my life is like as a BBW" web pages. I know as a writer of fanta-sizer fiction, I can be guilty of emphasizing the physical at the expense of everything else. But, though I may only be sporadically successful at it in my own work, I've found that the most successful fantasies feature heroines with at least a smidgeon's worth of identifiable humanity in 'em.

Yeah, I know the inverse can be true. Consider the sad case of Anna Nicole Smith – whose packaged sexiness has steadily diminished with every public utterance to slur from her lips. Sometimes, admittedly, you don't wannna know too much about a model because, once you get beneath the surface, there's no there there. But I still think if Brooke started her own weblog, I'd look at her more seriously as my personal sex symbol. . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home